Rum Cake With Bananas Foster Topping
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 box yellow cake mix*
4 large eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup good rum (dark or light) 80 proof
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rum
- Pre-heat oven
- Grease and flour an 10 inch bundt or tube pan.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over bottom and pan.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour nuts.
- Bake for 1 hour, check cake with a toothpick after 50-55 minutes. When finished do not unmold
- Cool on wire rack and follow directions below for adding sauce while cake is hot from oven.
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan, bring to boil for 1 minute.
- Be attentive, the saucepan, bring over quickly.
- While cake is still hot and still in the pan, puncture all over with serving fork.
- Pour hot rum sauce over cake, do this slowly carefully.
- Let cake cook in pan, then invert on a serving plate.
*If you use a cake mix with the pudding already added, omit the pudding in the above recipe. Use 3 eggs, not 4 reduce oil from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup.
** Add New Orleans School of Cooking Bananas Foster Topping to the top of the cake 10 minutes before cake is done.
***Bake for 10 minutes then take out of oven and let it cool.