Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Ready in: 50 minutes
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 pound andouille sausage, thinly sliced
1 pound pizza dough, room temperature
1/3 cup New Orleans School of Cooking™ Garlic Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups baby arugula
Juice of one lemon
1 ounce shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add onion, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir to combine. Cover pan and let onions steam for 15 minutes, until reduced in volume and soft, but not brown.
2. Remove lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar and thyme and cook until onions are deep, golden brown. Stir in red wine vinegar and transfer to bowl to cool
3. Wipe out skillet and heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add andouille and cook until sausage browns, about 2 minutes per side. Drain excess fat and set aside
4. Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Shape pizza dough into a 13” to 14” round. Place dough directly on hot grill grates. Let dough cook about 3-4 minutes on first side, until it picks up grill marks, but does not burn
5. Flip dough and lower heat to medium-low. Top with garlic sauce, mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions and andouille sausage. Place lid on grill or cover pan and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly. Transfer pizza to cutting board.
6. Toss arugula with lemon juice and pinch of kosher salt. Arrange on top of pizza and garnish with shaved Parmesan. Slice and serve.