Prep time: 70 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Ready in: 75 minutes
Yield: 24 beignets
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (95°F to 100°F)
1/2 cup milk powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup Cajun Power Sweet Treat Cinnamon Sugar
1. Add flour, sugar, salt and yeast to the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk to combine. Place bowl on mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
2. Add warm water,milk powder, egg and butter. Mix on medium speed until the mixture forms a smooth dough, about 4 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the
refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Once risen, divide the dough in half and roll out on a lightly floured work surface to about 1/4"-thick. Cut the dough into 2" squares. You can use heart-shaped, "x", or "o" cookie cutters to cut your dough.
4. Meanwhile, heat 3” of oil to 350°F in a medium pot. Fry dough in batches, turning once, until puffed and golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined tray and cool slightly.
5. Place cinnamon sugar in a shallow bowl. Coat warm beignets in cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.